Wrightslaw: From Emotions to Advocacy

The Special Education Survival Guide by Pam Wright & Pete Wright

 Home > Your Partners: Independent Evaluators and Educational Consultants

What's In Store at Wrightslaw?

The Advocate's Store

Special Ed Law & Advocacy Training (6.5 hrs)

25% Off the Wrightslaw Bundle of 4 PRINT books for $58.35 (Sorry, coupons not accepted on this product)

Includes Wrightslaw: Special Education Law, 2nd Ed., Wrightslaw: From Emotions to Advocacy, 2nd Ed., Wrightslaw: All About IEPs and Wrightslaw: All About Tests and Assessments, 2nd Ed.  

Buy Now!

New! The Wrightslaw Bundle is now available as an immediate PDF download. All four Wrightslaw books as PDFs for just $49.95!

Buy Now!

Your Partners: Independent Evaluators and Educational Consultants

Print this page

meetingConsult with a private-sector psychologist, educational diagnostician, or consultant to develop goals for your child. Your consultant will give you valuable information and help. Your consultant may:

  • Teach you about your child’s disability and educational needs
    Provide information about effective teaching and research-based educational practices
  • Help you learn about tests, how tests measure educational progress, and how to interpret test results
  • Help you design goals, objectives and time frames
  • Evaluate your child’s progress toward IEP goals and objectives
    Make recommendations about your child’s educational program

Types of Consultants / Evaluators

Depending on your child’s disability and age, you may work with different specialists:

Speech-language pathologists
Educational diagnosticians
Occupational therapists
Physical therapists
Pediatric neurologists
Therapists and counselors

Finding a Consultant

Look for a consultant who is knowledgeable about your child’s disability, child development, and special education. Ideally, your consultant will be available to work with you and your family for the long haul. In addition to making recommendations about your child’s educational program, your consultant should attend school meetings to support these recommendations.

Contact advocacy groups and organizations that represent individuals with your child’s disability and ask them to recommend consultants.

Contact medical centers children’s hospitals, mental health centers, and clinics.

Ask other parents for recommendations.

Contact private special education schools and ask for their recommended consultants.

Before long, you will have a short list of recommendations from different groups and individuals. You will probably find your consultant in this list.


Copyright 1998-2022, Peter W. D. Wright and Pamela Darr Wright. All rights reserved. Contact Us