From Emotions to Advocacy
The Special Education Survival Guide by Pam & Pete Wright
|Home > Learning About " The School"|
Free Shipping on Orders over $35.00!
Year in Review Series
Learning About "The School"
Public schools are the education providers for all children.
The Mission of Public Schools
The mission of public schools is to provide students with a standardized education. Standardized educational programs are not individualized, nor are they designed to meet the unique needs of the child with a disability.
Schools are modeled after factories.
The principal runs the school building, teachers provide the labor,
and children are the raw material. Parents are outsiders.
Learning About School Teams
childs team is a small part of a large system.
Learning About Your School District
What do you know about your childs school? What do you know about your school district?
How are parents of children with disabilities
perceived by the teachers at your childs school? How are parents
of children with disabilities viewed in your school district?
10 Reason Why Schools Say No!
1. The school does not want to change long-standing procedures.
2. The school does not want to make exceptions to existing policies or practices.
3. The school is afraid of setting a precedent.
4. The school does not have the staff to meet the childs needs.
5. The staff is not trained to meet the childs needs.
6. The school does not have a program to meet the childs needs.
7. The school is committed to their one-size-fits all service delivery models.
8. The school believes the services your child needs are too expensive.
9. The school is overwhelmed by the complexity of your childs needs.
10. The school does not understand the legal requirement to provide your child with an individualized program.
Copyright © 1999-2018, Peter W. D. Wright and Pamela Darr Wright. All rights reserved. Contact Us